Saturday, July 28, 2012

Maria Maria Inspired Mexican Cuisine

While Austin is filled with tons of Tex-Mex restaurants and littered with small Mexican joints, Maria Maria is an establishment of a different sort compared with the masses.  A unique and amazingly decorated fine dinning experience in the middle of downtown Austin that serves quite possibly the most delicious food Laura or I have ever eaten.  I cannot emphasize enough just how good the food was here.

Laura was in the mood for Italian as she was craving a red sauce and she wasn't disappointed when her Cheese Enchiladas with red sauce came out and fulfilled just that craving.   I went with the Mushroom Chicken Maria, a grilled chicken breast topped with sauteed mushrooms, melted cheese, pico de gallo and avocado served with refried black beans, guajillo rice and salsa verde.

Let me side step to explain that this place was packed, almost every table was taken and still our food was served in less than ten minutes.  Our waiter was one of the most pleasant, funny, and personable people I have ever had the pleasure of tipping.  The beer list included a Black Lager called Ugly Pug by a local brewery called Rahr and Sons.  Seeing as how my mom has had pugs since I was a teenager I had to try this beer.

It wasn't the best beer I had last night, but it definitely didn't disappoint either.  The best beer of the night was from another local brewery called 512 IPA.  I had tried it first at a bar down the street from Maria Maria called the Bat Bar where we witnessed a cello and guitar player entertain the crowd.  After our dinner I still had a craving for another 512 so we headed to the closest bar to grab one.

After leaving the downtown area I grabbed a six pack of Fireman #4 which had been a great find a few days before at Trudy's.  The night got a little blurry after half the six pack but I do remember watching Paul McCartney's incredible performance at the opening night of the Olympics so over all a very successful night.

Maria Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment